top of page
  • harrythehymersholi

Forfar Loch Caravan and Motorhome Club Site

The overnight snow that had been forecast, didn't materialise again. We have changed our plans so many times because of snow forecasts and nothing happening, so today we decided we would head towards the Cairngorms. We had already said we would like to stay at the Muir of Dinnet Nature Reserve and as it was only half an hour away, and a mile and a half up a B road, off the A93, which we were already on, we thought we'd head for there. We had plenty of provisions having been in Morrisons yesterday, so if it did snow and we had to stay there a few nights, it would be fine.

We walked the dogs before I went out and did a bit of filming on the GoPro. I had a long chat with the warden about the lack of snow and he was telling me about other sites that have had to shut because of it. While I was out filming, it actually started to snow! It was very wet, so the snow wasn't settling. When I got back, we backed up and headed off to Dinnet.

Well, the snow got heavier and heavier. It was laying at the side of the road. Suddenly, the road had become slushy. A bit further along, the road became covered in snow. We were struggling to see and were following tracks in the snow. This had all happened in less than twenty minutes! We decided we had to give up, and I found a picnic site, on the side of the A93, that was on Search for Sites. We managed to pull into there and stop in one of the parking places and thought that was where we were going to be staying for the night.

We made a cup of tea and sat down to look at the weather forecast. The sky was going to clear that night, and temperatures were due to drop to way below zero. We knew that, if all the snow froze, there was no way we were getting out of that layby the next morning. While we were drinking our tea and trying to decide what to do, the gritting lorry went past. Within no time at all, the road itself was clear. We decided we needed to go back the way we had come and travel further down the east coast.

Alan went out to see if he thought we would be able to get out of the layby. The entrance was not as steep as the exit, so we decided to give it a go. Alan was able to turn the motorhome around, and carefully and slowly make it back onto the main road. Not sure we would have managed it without our BF Goodrich tyres!

Driving back along the A93, the change was unbelievable. The town that we had just left, barely had any snow at all and, by the time we reached the coast, there was nothing. We do wonder if we should have tried to carry on to Dinnet, after the road had been gritted, but we will just have to return there another time.

For lunch, we stopped in the car park of Dunnottar Castle on the outskirts of Stonehaven. They have a height barrier on the car park but have marked out spaces for motorhomes and coaches on the side of the road. The castle itself was closed for staff training, but there were still a fair number of people parked there to go for a walk. We had our lunch before moving on.

We had found St Cyrus National Nature Reserve on Search for Sites, which sounded ideal for an official parkup for a £10 donation. We arrived at what looked like a really nice spot, only to find that the motorhome parking was at the back of the car park on a steep bit of land. We got the levelling blocks out but, because it was on gravel, the blocks kept moving when we tried to go up them. It was so annoying because they had a lovely flat overflow car park, which had a height barrier. It would've been far better to put the motorhome parking in there. We looked at other parts of the car park and whether we could move when the cars left but it just wasn't going to work, so we reluctantly looked for somewhere else. At this point, it was getting late in the afternoon so, rather than driving around looking for a park up, we booked in to Forfar Loch CAMC site. We had been there last year, so knew it was ok and had good dog walks.

On arrival at Forfar, we set up and I went off to Home Bargains, which was just across the road, to get a few bits.

There were ten vans on site over night.

Today we walked 9,536 steps.

1 view

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page